Elementary Activities 2015
Activities Early Childhood and Jump Start Preschool
Proper Winter Dress and Weather Related Announcements 2018-2019
Proper Winter Dress & Weather Related Announcements 2018-2019
With the seasonal cold temperatures upon us please be sure your child is dressed appropriately, which means wearing winter coats, snow pants, boots, hats, and mittens/gloves. The best approach is layering (coat or jacket, sweatshirt, or sweater, etc.), plus head and hand coverings. Please do not allow your child to leave the house with exposed skin (ears, hands, legs, etc.), as this increases the chance of frostbite in extreme cold weather. We will go outside unless the temperature is below zero (air or wind-chill). We appreciate your support and willingness to help keep our students safe.
The South Winneshiek School District will again be using the JMC Messenger for our weather-related/emergency notifications. We want to help ensure your family is aware of weather-related/emergency notifications from South Winneshiek.
We are asking parents to log into their JMC parent portal and go to the "parent information" section. Please make sure that all of your phone numbers and email addresses are correct. Beside each number you need to determine if you want an email, text message, or phone call.
Finally, you need to indicate what types of notifications you want to receive i.e. emergency/weather-related, student-related or general school information announcements. Click "Save" after you have updated your information.
You can also find weather related announcements on KCRG Channel 9, KWWL Channel 7, WXOW Channel 19 La Crosse, KVIK 104.7, and KDEC 100.5.
Kris Einck and Jason Halverson
Holiday Slide Show Smile Box 2018-2019
|Personalize your own picture slideshow|
PK-8 Principal Jason Halverson
South Wiinneshiek Elementary/Middle School
208 E. Brooks St.
P.O. Box 298
Ossian, Iowa 52161
Office Hours: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM Mon - Fri
School Hours 8:15 AM - 3:15 PM
High School Announcements
Giant Piggy Bank
Welcome to South Winneshiek Elementary and Middle School! Our school maintains high expectations within a personal setting. Our school serves students Early Childhood through Grade 8, in our excellent facility in Ossian, Iowa. Our goals are to maintain low class sizes and to provide direct instruction that reflects research-based best practices. We focus on having rigor and relevance in our curriculum while building relationships with students, parents, and the community.
Our school is placing attention and focus on raising student achievement to meet all the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requirements. We are beginning to align our curriculum with the State of Iowa’s Core Curriculum and we continue our professional development efforts to help each child to be challenged.
Please feel free to visit or inquire for more information. You may call us at 563-532-9365. Thank you again for your support and interest.
Explanation of Program
South Winneshiek Elementary Students:
- Score well above the state and national average on the Iowa Test of Educational Development and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.
- Utilize technology to enhance learning and attain skills to be successful in the 21st century.
- Participate in community service activities and receive guidance services, EC-12.
- Are provided Reading Recovery, Title I reading, multi-categorical resource, multi-categorical special class with integration, as well as Extended Learning (TAG).
- Are provided student assistance programs (Instruction Decision Making Team) to identify students who are having problems, assess the nature and severity of the problem, respond as a system to the student in need, and provide a confidential network of support sudents.
- Are involved in Character Counts, a program which enhances their emotional, intellectual, social, and behavioral development.
- Participate in DARE (drug abuse resistance education) in fifth grade.
- Participate in a variety of fine art experiences (band, chior, plays, musicals, and speech) from early childhood through graduation.
- Are provided the opportunity to enhance their creative talents by participation in a visual arts program at all levels.
- Have wonderful community support and have an active PTO, Sports Booster, and Fine Arts Booster.
- Title I reading, multi-categorical resource, multi-categorical special class with integration, as well as Extended Learning (TAG).
JMC Parent Login
JMC Parent Login Links
Watch an Instructional Video Click Below Link
Elementary Main Page
Elementary MS Office Page https://sites.google.com/site/southwinnelemms/
It is the Policy of the South Winneshiek CSD
Equal Educational Opportunity
It is the policy of the South Winneshiek Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age (for employment), marital status (for programs), sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status (for programs) in its educational programs and its employment practices. Nor in any of the CTE programs offered (Business, Agriculture, Information Services, Applied Sciences, Health Sciences and Human Services). There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy please contact the district’s Equity Coordinator: Kris Einck (563)-562-3269 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at South Winneshiek Community School District, 304 S Webster Street, Calmar, Iowa.