PK-8 Principal Jason Halverson
South Wiinneshiek Elementary/Middle School
208 E. Brooks St.
P.O. Box 298
Ossian, Iowa 52161
Office Hours: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM Mon - Thurs.
7:30 AM - 3:30 PM Friday
School Hours 8:15 AM - 3:15 PM
Welcome to South Winneshiek Elementary and Middle School! Our school maintains high expectations within a personal setting. Our school serves students Early Childhood through Grade 8, in our excellent facility in Ossian, Iowa. Our goals are to maintain low class sizes and to provide direct instruction that reflects research-based best practices. We focus on having rigor and relevance in our curriculum while building relationships with students, parents, and the community.
Our school is placing attention and focus on raising student achievement to meet all the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requirements. We are beginning to align our curriculum with the State of Iowa’s Core Curriculum and we continue our professional development efforts to help each child to be challenged.
Please feel free to visit or inquire for more information. You may call us at 563-532-9365. Thank you again for your support and interest.
Explanation of Program
South Winneshiek Elementary Students:
- Score well above the state and national average on the Iowa Test of Educational Development and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.
- Utilize technology to enhance learning and attain skills to be successful in the 21st century.
- Participate in community service activities and receive guidance services, EC-12.
- Are provided Reading Recovery, Title I reading, multi-categorical resource, multi-categorical special class with integration, as well as Extended Learning (TAG).
- Are provided student assistance programs (Instruction Decision Making Team) to identify students who are having problems, assess the nature and severity of the problem, respond as a system to the student in need, and provide a confidential network of support sudents.
- Are involved in Character Counts, a program which enhances their emotional, intellectual, social, and behavioral development.
- Participate in DARE (drug abuse resistance education) in fifth grade.
- Participate in a variety of fine art experiences (band, chior, plays, musicals, and speech) from early childhood through graduation.
- Are provided the opportunity to enhance their creative talents by participation in a visual arts program at all levels.
- Have wonderful community support and have an active PTO, Sports Booster, and Fine Arts Booster.
- Title I reading, multi-categorical resource, multi-categorical special class with integration, as well as Extended Learning (TAG).
It is the Policy of the South Winneshiek CSD
Equal Educational Opportunity
It is the policy of the South Winneshiek Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age (for employment), marital status (for programs), sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status (for programs) in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy please contact the Superintendent of Schools, 304 S Webster Street, Calmar, Iowa, 563-562-3269 or email email@example.com