The vision of the South Winneshiek School District, with shared responsibility of home and community, is to provide the best environment to develop skills needed to be responsible life-long learners within the school and community.
- The mission of the South Winneshiek Community School District program is to assist and ensure that every student achieves his/her level of educational excellence in the areas of academic, career, and social/emotional development through a collaborative partnership with students, family, educators, and community.
Board Policy Number 101 (Revised: October 2003 Reviewed: February 2005)
As a school corporation of Iowa, South Winneshiek Community School District, acting through its Board of Education, is dedicated to promoting an equal opportunity for a quality public education to its students within the limitations of the school district's ability and willingness to furnish financial support to provide for students in cooperation with their parents and the school district community, the opportunity to develop a healthy social, intellectual, emotional, and physical self-concept in a learning environment that provides guidance to and encourages critical thinking in the students for a lifetime.
The Board endeavors through the dedication of the school district's resources, to encourage students, who come to the school district from a variety of backgrounds, to look forward to the time when they will have jobs, homes, families, places in the school district community, and attain recognition as individuals. In order to achieve this goal. the Board will seek qualified employees dedicated to development of their professional skills for the betterment of the education program and for the expertise for educational productivity.
Instruction and curriculum are the key elements of a public education. Critical thinking and problem solving skills that will assist the students' preparation for life shall be instructed as part of a sequentially coordinated curriculum. The school district strives to prepare students for employment, to discover and nurture creative talent and to prepare them to meet and cope with social change in an atmosphere conducive to learning.
The support and involvement of the home and the school district community are essential to achieve educational excellence in the school district. The school district strives to maintain an active relationship with the home and the school district community to create within the students an awareness of dignity and worth of the individual, civic responsibility and respect for authority.
- Score well above the state and national average on the Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP).
- Are provided a curriculum appropriate for all students.
- Utilize computers to learn instructional concepts and word processing skills at attendance center computer labs and in the classroom.
- Receive school-to-work training and guidance services, EC-12.
- Are provided Early Childhood and Kindergarten Prep. classrooms, in addition to a daily kindergarten program.
- Are provided Reading Recovery, Title I reading, multi-categorical resource, multi-categorical special class with integration, as well as Extended Learning programs.
- Are provided student assistance programs to identify students who are having problems, assess the nature and severity of the problem, respond as a system to the student in need, and provide a confidential network of support to students.
- Are involved in Success4, a program which enhances their emotional, intellectual, social, and behavioral development.
- Participate in DARE (drug awareness resistance education) in fifth grade.
- Participate in a variety of musical experiences from early childhood through graduation.
- Are provided the opportunity to enhance their creative talents by participation in a visual arts program at all levels.
- Participate in a comprehensive theater and speech program including plays, musicals, and individual and group speech activities.
- Participate inter scholastically in sports-baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, softball, swimming, track, volleyball, and wrestling.