Iowa superintendents received updated guidance from the Iowa Department of Education and the Iowa Department of Public Health late yesterday. We are working closely with the Iowa Department of Public Health and Winneshiek County Public Health Officials to monitor the situation. We will continue to follow their guidance to ensure we are taking the necessary precautions.
It is very important to clarify that the Iowa Department of Public Health is not currently advising any schools to close. The Department of Public Health is leading the state in identification of key decision points needed to contain and mitigate COVID-19 and included in these decision points will be triggers and metrics on how they would recommend if school closures are necessary.
The Iowa Department of Public Health has dedicated a page to COVID-19 and Schools. There are a number of excellent resources, such as a FAQ, and How to Talk To Children resources, which we have included in the school website. Below I have attached links from the Iowa Department of Public Health and encourage you to look at them.
This is what you can do:
Review good hygiene with your family to help keep them safe. Examples of some routine, everyday preventive actions to lessen the spread of viruses include:
- If a student or staff member is sick, do not come to school.
- Cover your mouth with your upper arm or a tissue when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Superintendent & 9-12 Principal
South Winneshiek CSD
304 S. Webster St. Calmar, IA 52132
District Office – (563)562-3269
High School – (563)562-3226