The South Winneshiek CSD Board of Education held their regular board meeting on July 11, 2022, in the boardroom in Calmar. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:30 pm.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place: Present: Craig Neuzil, Don Schroeder, Wendy Mihm-Herold, Patricia Schissel and Ron Hemesath. Absent: None.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous minutes, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items as presented which included the appointments of Darcy Einck, Varsity Assistant Volleyball coach half-time $1482.83. Tiffany Wagner – EL/MS Yearbook $500.00. Resignations – None. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold received visitors – Dereck Buddenberg addressed the board with some questions about preschool and transportation.
Spotlight on Education – Ana Olson Johnson recently was offered the opportunity to shadow at Winneshiek Medical Center through the Educator in the Workplace program offered through Keystone and NICC. She will incorporate her first-hand experience into her class room, teaching students about career possibilities.
Old Business: None
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the depositories as follows
- Fidelity Bank $5,000,000 limit
- Citizens Savings Bank $2,000,000 limit
- Luana Savings Bank $4,000,000 limit
- Decorah Bank and Trust $500,000 limit
Schroeder abstained from voting. Motion carried.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Neuzil to approve Fayette Publishing -Ossian Bee as the official newspaper for the district. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schroeder to approve Lynch Dallas PC and Ahlers & Cooney as legal counsel for the district. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to appoint Kristina Smith as the Board Secretary and Treasurer for the 2022-2023 school year. Motion carried unanimously. The oath of office was given.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the 2022-2023 Preschool, Elementary School, Middle School and High School student handbooks. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Neuzil to approve the 2022-2023 coach’s handbook, the 2022-2023 certified and classified staff handbooks. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the librarian sharing agreement with Keystone. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Neuzil to approve the Erate bids for access points from YCM Solutions Inc for $64,104.38 with a five-year license. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative and Department Reports:
- Mr. Williams introduced himself to the board. He was met with a warm welcome. He has been busy introducing himself to the community through attendance at the softball and baseball games. He complimented the custodial staff of Kyle, Connie and Dave for the outstanding work they are doing to prepare the building for incoming students and staff.
- Mr. Einck provide a short review of projects being completed over the past month.
- Ms. Nefzger and Ms. Pope provided written reports to the board.
Announcements: Next regular meeting August 8, 2022 in the boardroom in Calmar at 5:30 pm. Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schroeder to adjourn at 7:21 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President