South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Meeting
December 14, 2020 @ 5:30 P.M. (Calmar)
The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on December 14, 2020 in the boardroom in Calmar. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:30 pm.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place; present: Corey Meyer, Ron Hemesath, Wendy Mihm-Herold, Don Schroeder. Attending via telephone: Patricia Schissel. Absent: None.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to approve the consent items as presented: Resignations: Jason Drucker – Musical Set Design; Michael Wenthold Assistant Varsity Baseball; Appointments: Carter Wenthold – videographer $10.00. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to open the public hearing regarding the South Winneshiek CSD Stadium Improvements project. Motion carried unanimously. Holly Schmitt asked if the project would be completed by track season. – The project would not be completed, but would not impede with the use of the track.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to close the public hearing regarding the South Winneshiek CSD Stadium Improvements project. Motion carried unanimously.
Spotlight on Education: Holly Schmitt presented to the board her research on options for semester testing. Possibilities of opting out of two semester tests per semester if certain criteria had been met: currently having an A in the class, not missing any assignments and no more than two unexcused absences. Mr. Einck suggested that a group of students and faculty get together to further discuss.
Old Business: None
- Kris Smith proceeded as president pro-tem asking for nominations for president. Schroeder nominated Mihm-Herold as president. Hemesath seconded. Roll call vote: Voting Aye: Schissel, Schroeder, Meyer and Hemesath. Nay: none. Motion carried.
Mihm Herold resumed role as president asking for nominations for vice president. Meyer nominated Schroeder as vice president, Hemesath seconded. Roll call vote: Voting Aye: Schissel, Meyer, Hemesath, Mihm-Herold. Nay: None. Motion carried.
Smith gave the oath of office to Mihm-Herold, as president and Schroeder, as vice-president.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to appoint Ron Hemesath to the Winneshiek County Conference Board. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the early retirements of Sheryl Holien, Cathy Kuehner, Judy Lansing, Maureen Shroyer, Joni Styve and Marsha Winter. Retirement will be effective at the end of this school year. Motion carried unanimously. The board wanted to publicly thank each of these teachers for their dedication and service to the students and families of South Winneshiek for a combined service of over 203 years! Best wishes to each of you on your new adventures.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to approve the first reading of board policies 200 series. Motion carried unanimously. The board thanked Lindsey Haas for her work on prepping these files for review.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the early graduation of Jacob Post. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to approve the At Risk and Drop Out prevention program as presented and the modified supplemental amount of $178,702.00. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the South Winneshiek CSD Stadium Improvements project for the 834-seat project accepting the bid from JB Holland Construction for the lump Sum Base Bid amount and Alternate No. 1 for a total of $493,827.25. Total project costs including DLR Architect and contingencies will be $603,566. Motion carried unanimously. Funding for this project is paid out of the Capital and PPEL funds.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to continue with the hybrid schedules at the EL/MS and HS until the end of January. Hemesath abstained from voting. Motion carried.
Board reports were presented by Mr. Halverson and Mr. Einck. Holiday concerts will be virtual this year. Recordings will be sent out through seesaw and JMC for parents to view and share.
Announcements: Corey Meyer announced that due to his wife’s new position with Hacker Nelson & Co. PC he would be resigning from the board due to a conflict of interest. He currently occupies an at large position. The board will immediately begin to search for a replacement for Meyer’s position. Anyone interested in being on the school board can contact any board member or Kris Smith in the district office. The board will be appointing a replacement on January 11, 2021.
The next regular board meeting will be held January 11, 2021 at 5:30 pm in Ossian in the Music room.
Moved by Meyer, seconded by Hemesath to adjourn at 6:43 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President