South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Board Meeting
January 13, 2020
- The South Winneshiek Community School District board of education held their regular meeting on January 13, 2020 at the Ossian center. The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by president Wendy Mihm-Herold.
- After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place. Present: Wendy Mihm-Herold, Patricia Schissel, Ron Hemesath, Corey Meyer and Don Schroeder.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the consent items. Resignations: Shayna Campbell – Paraprofessional; Appointments: Brianna Everts – Wrestling Cheer Coach Step I $1015.20; Victoria Young – Basketball Cheer Coach Step I $1015.20. Chris Jensen – Custodian $11.50; Jordan Rommes – Volunteer wrestling coach. Motion carried unanimously.
- President Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
- Old Business: None
- New Business:
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to approve the bid from Farmers Union Coop for the lease of a LP fueling station for $1.00 per year. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the At Risk and Drop Out prevention of $78,670 and services including Edgenuity Success Center, Success center, Second Chance Reading, Summer Credit Recovery, Elementary Summer Services, Intensive Guidance Services, Elementary reading intervention, Tier II Interventions for significantly deficient students – Lexia, Homework Helper and 3 year old preschool. Motion carried unanimously.
- The 2020-2021 school calendar was reviewed – no action taken. A public hearing will occur at the February board meeting.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the sale of a 2007 Bluebird 65 passenger bus with no motor and no transmission. Sealed bids will be accepted until Noon January 31. Motion carried unanimously
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to approve a geotechnical evaluation by Braun Intertec for $4,535.00. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to approve future board meetings to be held on the second Monday of the month at 5:30 pm to alternate between Ossian and Calmar. Motion carried unanimously.
- Mrs. Nefzger’s report was shared electronically with the board outlining professional development, teacher leadership and ISASP assessments.
- Mr. Halverson announced that the Spring Open House will be April 1th.
- Mr. Einck shared a transportation update along with Mr. Swestka regarding the possibility of completing a DERA Grant for new buses.
- Announcements: Next regular meeting will be held February 10, 2020 at 5:30 pm in the Ossian Center Library.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to adjourn at 7:36 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President