The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on July 13, 2020 in the library at the Elementary Middle School in Ossian. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 530 pm. A zoom link was made available to the public prior to the meeting.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place; Present: Patricia Schissel, Ron Hemesath, available via Zoom: Don Schroeder, Wendy Mihm-Herold and Corey Meyer. Absent: None
Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to approve the consent items as presented, which included the resignation of Glenna Munuswamy as varsity head volleyball coach; Tony Gossman as head middle school volley ball coach. Appointments of Kenny Buchheit as Assistant Softball Coach; Step III $2914.65; Alex Smith – Head Varsity Volleyball Coach Step I $3771.90; Glenna Munuswamy – Head Middle School Volleyball Coach Step III $2228.85. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Old Business: None
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to Adopt the Instructional Support Levy for five years and to hold a public hearing on August 10 at 5:30 in Calmar for continued participation with the Instructional Support Levy. Motion carried unanimously
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to renew the school’s insurance coverage with EMC through Jester Insurance for $115,883.20. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the 403 b Resolution as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer, seconded by Schissel to approve the agreement with Winneshiek Medical Center for sports medicine and athletic training services. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Meyer to appoint the depositories of
- Fidelity Bank
- Operations and Schoolhouse Funds – $5,000,000 limit
- Clearing Account – $500,000 limit
- Nutrition Account – $500,000 limit
- Citizens Savings Bank – $2,000,000 limit
- Luana Savings Bank – $4,000 000 limit
- Decorah Bank & Trust – $500,000 limit
- Fidelity Bank
Motion carried with Schroeder abstaining from the vote.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to appoint Legal Counsel of Lynch Dallas PC and Ahlers & Cooney. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to appoint the Ossian Bee as the district newspaper. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to appoint Kristina Smith as the Board Secretary/Treasurer. Ms. Smith was read the oath of office. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to approve the student handbooks. The only change was to the middle school handbook:
“Middle School students who fail a semester of a core class will be required to earn a passing grade online during the summer. Their semester grade will determine if they failed the semester or not. This will be at the discretion of the principal.” Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to approve the MOU with NICC to share chemistry. Motion carried with Mihm-Herold abstaining from the vote.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to approve the purchase of 18 portable air conditioning units from Johnstone Supply for $12,014.16. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative reports: Mr. Einck shared the Return to Learn plan.
Announcements: next regular meeting will be August 10 at 5:30 in the board room in Calmar. The work session to review board policies that was planned for tonight was postponed.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to adjourn at 6:37 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President