South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Meeting Minutes
July 16, 2018
The July 16, 2018 regular board meeting of the South Winneshiek Community School. District Board of Education was called to order at 7:00 pm by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold.
The pledge of allegiance was recited.
Roll Call: Present: Don Schroeder, Bob Busch, Pat Schissel, Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent: Jenny Johnson
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Busch to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried.
Discussion was held regarding consent items which include previous board minutes, financial reports, bills, open enrollment, appointments and resignations. Schissel had reviewed bills prior to the meeting. Resignations: Heather Lindell – Choreographer; Appointments: John Mikota – Teacher BA-30 Step 11 $54,838.00. There were no open enrollments. Moved by Busch and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items.
President Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Larry Lillifield presented information about the NICC Sector Board. The NICC Sector Board is a group comprised of high schools, community college and business sectors. This collaboration assists the school and community college with understanding the skills businesses required to fill open positions while helping businesses understand what classes are available at the high school and community college level. The goal of the NICC Sector Board is to elevate students into life long career paths within our communities.
- Tara Hoffert provided an explanation of the EMC renewal and coverage. She also explained the School Assurance policy that is available for families to purchase which help gap coverage for students with high deductible plans or limited coverage for accidents. Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve EMC renewal for $79,156. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schissel to approve the depositories as listed. Schroeder abstained from the vote. Ayes: Schissel, Busch and Mihm-Herold; Nays: None. Motion carried.
- State Bank
- Operations and Schoolhouse Funds $5,000,000 limit
- Clearing Account $500,000 limit
- Nutrition Account $500,000 limit
- Citizens Savings Bank $2,000,000 limit
- Luana Savings Bank $2,000,000 limit
- Decorah Bank & Trust $50,000 limit
- State Bank
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Busch to approve the legal counsel firms of Ahlers & Cooney and Lynch Dallas, PC. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schissel to approve The Ossian Bee and Calmar Courier as official papers for South Winneshiek CSD. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Busch to approve the coaches’ handbook with the addition to the following phrase …Student athletes are to be supervised at all times. This includes in the locker room and weight room both before and after practice and on the school bus. All students are to be out of the school before the last coach leaves. Be sure that the lights are out, the doors are locked, and again ALL students have left the building before you leave. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Busch to table the approval of the High School and Elementary/Middle School Handbooks until the next meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schissel to approve the affiliation agreement with Drake University for clinical learning experience. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve the Special Education delivery plan. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schissel to appoint Kristina Smith as board secretary/treasurer. Motion carried unanimously. Smith then took the oath of office.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve the first reading of board policies 705.2-707.4. Motion carried unanimously.
- 705.2 Purchasing on Behalf of Employees – No change
- 705.3 Payment for Goods and Services – No change
- 706.1 Payroll Periods – No change
- 706.2 Payroll Deductions – … Employees may elect to have payments withheld from their pay for items authorized by law, subject to agreement of the district. for professional dues, district-related and mutually agreed upon group insurance coverage, and/r tax sheltered annuity programs. Requests for these deductions shall be made in writing to the superintendent. …
- 706.3 Pay Deductions – New Mandatory Policy
- The district provides leaves of absences to allow employees to be absent from work to attend to important matters outside of the workplace. As public employers, school districts are expected to record and monitor the work that employees perform and to conform to principles of public accountability in their compensation practices.
- Consistent with principles of public accountability, it is the policy of the district that, when an employee is absent from work for less than one work day and the employee does not use accrued leave for such absence, the employee’s pay will be reduced or the employee will be placed on leave without pay if:
- the employee has not sought permission to use paid leave for this partial-day absence,
- the employee has sought permission to use paid leave for this partial-day absence and permission has been denied,
- the employee’s accrued paid leave has been exhausted, or, the employee chooses to use leave without pay.
- In each case in which an employee is absent from work for part of a work day, a deduction from compensation will be made or the employee will be placed on leave without pay for a period of time which is equal to the employee’s absence from the employee’s regularly scheduled hours of work on that day.
- 707.1 Secretary’s Report – No change
- 707.2 Treasurer’s Annual Report – No change
- 707.3 Publication of Financial Reports – No change
- 707.4 Audit – No change
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schroeder to approve the purchase of a technology switch from CDW for $2083.55. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative reports were provided by Mr. Halverson and Mr. Einck.
Announcements: Next regular meeting will be held August 13 at 6:00 at Ossian with a walk through of the building and grounds to follow the meeting.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Busch to adjourn at 8:48 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith: Board Secretary
Wendy Mihm-Herold: Board President