South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Regular Board Meeting
July 8, 2019
The South Winneshiek Community School District held their monthly meeting on July 8, 2019 in Ossian at the Elementary/Middle school building. The meeting was called to order at 6:03 by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited roll call took place: Present: Wendy Mihm-Herold, Don Schroeder, Patricia Schissel and Corey Meyer. Absent: Bob Busch.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
President Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items as presented. Resignations: None, Appointments: None. Motion carried unanimously.
There was no old business.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to approve the renewal of the school’s insurance coverage through EMC Insurance for $99,581.50 and to table the optional $448 for Public Officers loss of salary and fringe benefits until the August meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve the purchase of classroom furniture from Storey Kenworthy for $5842.40. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the school depositories as follows: State Bank: Operations and Schoolhouse Funds $5,000,000 limit; Clearing Account $500,000 limit,Nutrition Account $500,000 limit. Citizens Savings Bank $2,000,000 limit; Luana Savings Bank$2,000,000 limit; Decorah Bank and Trust $50,000 limit. Voting Aye: Schissel, Meyer,Mihm-Herold; Nay – None; Abstaining from vote: Schroeder.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to appoint legal counsel of Lynch Dallas PC and Ahlers & Cooney. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to appoint the Ossia Bee and Calmar Courier as the district newspapers. Motion carried unanimously.
- Secretary Smith was absent from the meeting. Appointing the board secretary/treasurer was tabled to August.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded Meyer to amend the contract for Connie Euans, HS Guidance Counselor by reducing the 4 additional personal days to 2 personal days and increasing her 4 extended contract days to 10 extended contract days. Total contract would go from $69,442.60to $71,398.60. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative reports were given.
Next regular meeting will be August 12, 2019 in the Calmar Board Room at 6:00 pm.
Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to adjourn at 6:38 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith – Board Secretary
Wendy Mihm-Herold – Board President