South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Work Session
June 10, 2019
The June 10, 2019 work session of the South Winneshiek Community School District was called to order at 7:27 pm by president Mihm-Herold.
Present: Don Schroeder, Corey Meyer, Patricia Schissel and Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent – Bob Busch
Discussion at the work session as centered around the South Winneshiek CSD mission, vision and goals.
South Winneshiek Mission
The mission of the South Winneshiek Community School District program is to assist and ensure that every student achieves his/her level of educational excellence in the areas of academic, career, and social/emotional development through a collaborative partnership with students, family, educators, and community.
South Winneshiek Vision
The vision of the South Winneshiek School District, with shared responsibility of home and community,is to provide the best environment to develop skills needed to be responsible lifelong learners within the school and community.
South Winneshiek Goals
- Maintain a healthy respect for budget and finances to ensure financial independence and solvency.
- Educate the community about the strengths of a South Winneshiek education.
- Continue to grow and enhance the South Winneshiek and NICC relationship.
Members of the board answered and further discussed the questions of:
- What do you see as the most important part of our mission?
- That every student will achieve his or her level of excellence.
- How is the district achieving this?
- Through the board’s support by providing tools, curriculum to hel enrich all students, through multi-tiered system support (MTSS), emotional, behavioral, mental health, medical which help supply support for all students. MTSS includes the social worker that we just hired, athletic trainer and full-time nurse.
- Where do we see the district in 3, 5 and 10 years?
- Continuing to enhance and streamline our partnerships with NICC, continue sharing teachers and career academies, educate our students to help meet workforce demands, be on the cutting edge by being a STEAM facility. We will address our aging buildings and seek solutions to benefit students.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to adjourn at 8:54 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith – Board Secretary
Wendy Mihm-Herold – Board President