The South Winneshiek CSD Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on June 14, 2021 in the board room in Calmar. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:30 pm.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place: Present: Patricia Schissel, Don Schroeder, Craig Neuzil, Ron Hemesath and Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent: none.
Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Neuzil to approve the consent items as presented: Resignations: Don DiLaura – Bus Driver; Kalen Meyer – Bus Driver, Chelsea Solem -Paraprofessional; Alan Crossland – Paraprofessional, Rosa Perez – Paraprofessional, Blake Moen – Assistant MS Football, Justin Izer, Assistant MS Volleyball, Alexis Reicks – Assistant Varsity Volleyball, Courtnee Hahn- Assistant Varsity Girls Basketball, Mike Johnson – MS Head Boys Track and MS Head Football. Appointments: Ashley Halverson – PT Paraprofessional Step 2 Para $11.30; Harley McCabe (FY21) Assistant Varsity Softball 2/3 Step 1 $1714.50; Dakota Gray – MS Head Football Step 1 $1910.70; Justin Izer MS Assistant Football Step 1 $1737.00; Donna Blong DHS Coordinator $1500 and 3 personal days; Reassignment Ann Wenthold to FT Paraprofessional $14.90. Motion carried unanimously.
There was no old business.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the legislative priorities of Mental Health, School Funding Policy, Supplemental State Aid, AEA, Teacher Recruitment and Licensure and Sharing and Reorganization. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schroeder to approve the sharing agreement with Winneshiek Medical Center for athletic trainer. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Neuzil to set mileage rate at $.39 and cell phone reimbursement at $30. Motion carried. Schroeder abstained from voting.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the bid by Dessel Roach for $9300 for flooring in the middle school. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Hemesath to send out a South Winneshiek Survey. Motion carried unanimously. The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education is looking to reinvest and modernize our facilities. Our students are the future of our community and our school district. Investing in their success is critical to the vitality of our community. To remain recognized as a leader in education, we need to provide 21st century learning environments that are flexible to support future technology and teaching methods. Quality schools stimulate growth in local businesses as well as contribute to population growth and sustainability. In order for this to happen we feel South Winneshiek needs to have a state-of-the-art high school that will allow our students to enhance their access to career pathways through regional academies with multiple schools being able to join with us. We also want to continue to share resources with NICC, which will make both institutions more efficient and successful. We feel it is equally important to build upon our wonderful elementary and middle school facility by upgrading our facilities to enhance collaborative learning. The survey can be found on the southwinn.com web site and will be available until June 30.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the operational sharing agreement with North Fayette Valley to share a HR director/payroll specialist 40%/40%. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative reports were provided by Mr. Halverson and Mr. Einck.
Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Hemesath to adjourn at 6:25 pm. Motion carried unanimously. The next regular meeting will be held July 12, 2021 in the music room at the elementary/middle school in Ossian at 5:30pm.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President