The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on June 8, 2020 in the boardroom at the District Office in Calmar. The meeting was called to order by president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:30 pm. A Zoom link was made available to the public prior to the meeting.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place Present: Patricia Schissel, Don Schroeder, Corey Meyer, Ron Hemesath and Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent: none
An addition to the agenda of New Business Item H: WHV Controls. Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to approve the agenda as amended by adding new business item H: WHV Controls. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items: Resignations: none Appointments: Jordan Rommes – 2019-2020 Assistant Varsity Baseball Coach: Step II $2707.20. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to approve the bid from Driveway Specialists LLC to Sealcoat and crack fill new asphalt $1350.00; Patch bad areas in playground $2380.00 and sealcoat the playground area $3180.00 all for a total of $6910.00 and to also accept the bid from Albertson Construction to replace the curb and gutter near the art room for $1156.00. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to approve the bid from Savvas for American History and World Geography curriculum for $10,857.79. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to table the decision to become members of the Rural School Advocates of Iowa. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to Approve the Certified and Classified Handbooks. The only change was to the classified handbook to state: Use of unpaid leave is highly discouraged. If unpaid leave needs to be used the employee must first discuss the need in person with the building principal. Unpaid leave may be granted by the superintendent or building principal only after all personal, vacation, and banked personal days have been exhausted. There will be no pay for the time used as unpaid leave. Excessive use of unpaid leave could lead to disciplinary actions or termination. Voting Aye: Hemesath, Meyer, Schroeder and Mihm-Herold. Nay: Schissel. Motion carried.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to set mileage reimbursement at $.39 per mile and to approve reimbursement of cell phone at $30 for head custodian, bus mechanic, secretaries calling subs, principals, business manager and superintendent. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the purchase from Avi Systems of three smart boards, three annual licenses, two electric floor stands for $15,389.15 and one portable floor stand not to exceed $1500.00. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the purchase of I Ready Math Curriculum K-8 for $14,058.00. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schroeder to approve the repair of the retaining wall at Ossian by Pinter’s Landscape for $3516.48. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the bid by WHV to install controls in the Ossian Gym for $4968.00. Motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Einck recognized the board and thanked them for their dedication to keeping the needs of our students as their first priority and for their outstanding job in leading South Winneshiek. The next regular meeting will be July 13, 2020 at Ossian in the EL/MS library at 5:30. A work session will follow that meeting to work on updating policies.
Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to adjourn at 7:15 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President