The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on May 10, 2021 in the band room at the EL/MS in Ossian. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:30 pm.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place: Present: Don Schroeder, Patricia Schissel, Ron Hemesath and Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent: Craig Neuzil.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items as presented: Resignations: Brian Meyer – HS Math Teacher; Blake Moen Varsity Boys Basketball Coach. Appointments for the 2021-2022 school year: Brenna Herrmann – 2nd Grade Teacher BA 2 $41,403.60, Brooke Lodge HS Math Teacher BA 9 $51,130.80; Rita Reilly – Paraprofessional $11.00; Alex Smith MS Social Studies Teacher MA2 $45,571.40 Athletic Director $5,703.29; Kari Straube – MS Language Arts Teacher MA+15 11 $59,467.40. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Old Business: None
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve the graduating senior class of 2021. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the sharing agreement with Keystone AEA for technology services. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to approve middle school health curriculum McGraw Hill Teen Health for $2,768.63. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve technology purchases for MacBook Airs, Surface Pros with keyboards and pens, TVs, Projectors and other miscellaneous items such as speakers and wiring not to exceed $90,000. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schroeder to approve the Milk bid with Anderson Erickson; Bread bid with Pan O Gold; and the contracted rate for gas with Farmers Union Cooperative. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the school and nutrition fees as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
|School Fees||Proposed 2021-2022|
|3-Year-Old Preschool Monthly fee||$335.00|
|4-Year-Old Preschool Electronic Book Fee||$45.00|
|Grades K-4 Electronic Book Fee||$55.00|
|Grades 5-8 Electronic Book Fees||$115.00|
|Grades 9-12 Electronic Book Fees||$115.00|
|Grade 12: Graduation Cap and Gown Fee||$60.00|
|Music Instrument Rental 5-12||$50.00|
|Music Percussion Rental 5-12||$35.00|
|Activity Card Optional Grades K-12||$50.00|
|*Driver Education Fee for the Summer of 2021 through NICC (Prices set by NICC)||$379.00|
|*Yearbook Cost: Optional (prices set by Jostens)||TBD by Jostens|
|LUNCH and BREAKFAST PRICING||Proposed 2021-2022|
|Student Lunch PK – 5||$2.45|
|Student Lunch 6 – 8||$2.55|
|Student Lunch 9 – 12||$2.65|
|*Reduced Student Lunch||State set|
|*Free Student Lunch||Free|
|*Adult Price Lunch HS||$3.85|
|Breakfast Student EC – 5th||$1.70|
|Breakfast Student 6th – 12th||$1.80|
|*Breakfast Student Reduced||State Set|
|*Breakfast Student Free||Free|
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve substitute and other wages as presented. Aye: Schroeder, Hemesath, Mihm-Herold. Abstaining: Schissel. Motion carried.
|FY22 proposed Rates|
|Long term Sub BA-1/191 days||$209.50|
|Activity Bus Rate||$20.00|
|Mileage Rate for Route Drivers (Dollars per mile)||$1.00|
|Substitute Para, Cook, Secretary, Custodian, Summer custodial and technology help||$11.50|
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve a letter to be written to the IGHSAU in support to sanction High School Girls Wrestling. Motion carried unanimously.
- On behalf of the South Winneshiek School Board and the entire South Winneshiek Community School District, we want to recognize our retiring members with their years of service to the district. Mrs. Sheryl Holien has served for 32 years; Mrs. Cathy Kuehner has served for 30 years; Mrs. Judy Lansing has served 33 years; Mr. Brian Meyer has served for 15 years; Mrs. Maureen Shroyer has served for 33 years; Mrs. Joni Styve has served for 24 years; Mrs. Marsha Winter has served 38 years. We will be losing 205 years of combined experience and service with these seven individuals retiring. That kind of dedication, commitment and devotion deserves a huge THANK YOU! We wish these folks the best of luck in their future endeavors and hope they will not be strangers.
Administrative reports were provided by Mr. Halverson and Mr. Einck.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath at 6:30 pm to go into exempt session to discuss strategy in matters relating to employment conditions of employees not covered by the collective bargaining law. Iowa Code 21.9. Exempt sessions are closed to the public. Exempt session was to discuss wages and issuance of administrative contracts and all contracts not covered under a bargaining union. Roll Call: Ayes: Schroeder, Hemesath, Schissel and Mihm-Herold. Motion carried.
Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to return to open session at 7:18 pm. Roll Call: Ayes: Schroeder, Schissel, Hemesath, Mihm-Herold. Motion carried.
Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schroeder to approve the total contract increases for the six individuals not covered under a bargaining union of $15,513.58 and offering the equivalent of family insurance Plan 2 Blue Choice to administration – Kris Einck, Jason Halverson and Kris Smith. Motion carried unanimously.
The next regular meeting will be June 14, 2021 in the boardroom in Calmar at 5:30pm.
Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to adjourn at 7:23 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President