South Winneshiek Community School District
Regular School Board Meeting Agenda
Elementary/Middle School Library, Ossian
May 11, 2020
The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on May 11, 2020 in the library at the Elementary/Middle School in Ossian. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:30 pm. A Zoom link was made available to the public prior to the meeting.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place: Present: Don Schroeder, Patricia Schissel, Corey Meyer, Ron Hemesath and Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent: None.
Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items: Resignations: none Appointments 2019-2020 Paulette Doubek – Nutrition $10.05. 2020-2021 appointments: Justin Izer – Varsity Head Girls Basketball Coach Level III $4,457.70; Justin Izer FT Paraprofessional $11.85; Mary Eileen Lofte – FT Paraprofessional $13.75. Kirsten DeJarlais Snell – Spanish Teacher 1.0 FTE BA-1 $39,563.00 pending BOEE licensure. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Old Business: None
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Meyer to approve the graduation class of 2020 as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve the MOU with Luther College for Clinical Field Experience 2020-2021. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the issuance of staff contracts for 2020-2021. Aye: Meyer, Schissel and Mihm-Herold. Nay: None; Abstaining Schroeder and Hemesath. Motion carried.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schroeder to approve the bids from Pan O Gold for bread; Anderson Erickson for milk; and Farmers Union Coop contracted fuel bid. Motion carried unanimously. The board did request that all buses and vehicles be fueled in Calmar.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve sharing agreements with Keystone AEA for Technology and Social Worker. Motion carried unanimously. In addition to these sharing agreements, the board would like to publicly thank Keystone AEA for sharing their staff and supporting our district throughout the school year and especially during COVID 19. The Keystone staff bring valuable knowledge to our district.
- After a walkthrough of the parking lot; Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to table the estimates on the EL/MS parking lot/playground resurfacing. They have asked to have bids for concrete to be included. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to approve the school and nutrition fees as presented, rates for school fees remain the same; nutrition fees increased by 10 cents. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to approve substitute wages and other wages as presented. Aye: Hemesath, Schroeder, Meyer, Mihm-Herold. Nay: None. Abstaining: Schissel. Motion carried.
Administrative reports were proved by Mr. Halverson and Mr. Einck. They both wished to thank Clark Goltz for his volunteer time to coordinate efforts between South Winneshiek and St. Teresa of Calcutta for our Grab and Go Meal program. We have been able to serve over 325 students per day with this collaboration.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath at 6:53 pm to go into Exempt Session to discuss strategy in matters relating to employment conditions of employees not covered by the collective bargaining law. Iowa Code 21.9. Aye: Hemesath, Meyer, Schissel, Schroeder and Mihm-Herold. Nay: none. Motion carried unanimously.
Ron Hemesath left the meeting at 7:25 pm.
At 7:25 pm moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to return to open session. Aye: Meyer, Schroeder, Schissel and Mihm-Herold. Absent: Hemesath. Motion carried.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to approve a 2.5% wage increase for the 2020-2021 school year for all employees not covered under a bargaining agreement. A three-year contract to Mr. Einck, Superintendent/HS Principal, a two-year contract to Mr. Halverson, EL/MS Principal/ AD, and one-year contracts to Kris Smith, Business Manager/SBO; Bruce Gullickson, Activities Coordinator; Lindsey Haas, Superintendent secretary; Jami Hollinrake, HR Director. Motion carried.
Announcements: A thank you was received from Winneshiek Medical Center for the donation of head straps to save the ears for face masks. A thank you from Jean Martin for the retirement flower.
The school board would like to publicly thank Jean Martin for 43 years at the district and Linda Schmitt for 25 years at the district for all of their valuable service to the school.
The next school board meeting will be June 8 at 5:30 in the Calmar board room.
Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to adjourn at 7:38 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President