The South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on November 9, 2020 in the band room in Ossian. The meeting was called to order by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold at 5:32 pm.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place; Present: Patricia Schissel, Ron Hemesath, Don Schroeder, Corey Meyer and Wendy Mihm-Herold. Absent: None.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to approve the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
Review and discussion about previous board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Meyer and seconded by Hemesath to approve the consent items as presented, which included the appointments of Ethan Adams- Assistant Varsity Wrestling coach Step III $2914.65; Tory Anderson, Assistant MS Girls Basketball Step I $1714.50; Christine Fischer – Cook Assistant $12.00; Courtnee Hahn – Assistant Varsity Girls Basketball Coach, Step I $2571.75; Kari Harrington – PT Paraprofessional $11.00; Jason Schmelzer – Assistant Varsity Wrestling Step III $2914.65. Motion carried unanimously.
Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to open the public hearing on changes in the FY20-21 School Calendar. Motion carried unanimously. There were no comments from the public.
Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schissel to close the public hearing on changes in the FY20-21 school calendar. Motion carried unanimously.
Old Business: None
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to establish a public hearing date of December 14, 2020 to hear any public comments regarding the South Winneshiek CSD stadium improvements project. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schroeder to establish a bid date of December 3, 2020 at 2:00 pm to receive bids for the South Winneshiek CSD Stadium improvement project. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the second and final reading of board policy 100 series. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Schroeder to approve the SBRC request for increased enrollment, $0.00; open enrollment out, $55,040.00 and LEP instruction beyond 5 years $6,202.24 for a total of $61,242.24 in spending authority. Roll call vote: Aye: Schroeder, Meyer, Mihm-Herold Hemesath and Schissel. Nay: None. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the change to the FY20-21 school calendar by moving the professional development date from Monday, November 30 to Friday December 4. Motion carried unanimously. This change means there will be school for students on Monday, November 30 and no school for students on Friday, December 4.
Administrative reports were shared by Mr. Einck.
Announcements: The next regular meeting will be held December 14, 2020 in the boardroom in Calmar at 5:30 pm.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Hemesath to adjourn at 6:25 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Wendy Mihm-Herold
Board Secretary Board President