South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Regular Board Meeting
November 12, 2018
The November 12, 2018 regular board meeting of the South Winneshiek Community School District Board of Education was called to order at 6:00 pm by president Wendy Mihm-Herold.
Roll Call: Present: Wendy Mihm-Herold, Patricia Schissel, Corey Meyer, Don Schroeder. Absent: Bob Busch.
After the pledge of allegiance was recited a motion was made by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
After review and discussion about prior board minutes, financials, bills, appointments, resignations and open enrollments; a motion was made by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items. Resignations: Laurie Woggerman from Paraeducator/Custodian. Appointments: Jodi Cardo BA 10from .80 FTE to .9125 FTE $47876.97; Kendal Kuboushek Cheerleading Coach Wrestling Level I $1004.70;Leah Kruse Volunteer Cheerleading Coach Wrestling; Ken Mikota Assistant Middle School Coach Wrestling Level III $2009.40; Laurie Woggerman 9-month full-time Cook $10.70. Motion carried unanimously.
Spotlight on Education was presented by Mrs. Shroyer regarding FAST Data. The kids in K-8 grade takethe FAST reading screener in September. 78% of the K-1 kids met the benchmark. This looks at letter names and sounds and sounding out nonsense words. All kindergartners started the year using Lexia.84% of the 2-8 graders were at the fall benchmark level. This is a fluency passage – the speed of reading a set of three passages. These kids, if they did not meet the spring benchmark started the year on Lexia.We have created a data team to look at student scores and determine interventions at each of the grade levels and the schedule has time every day for grade level planning. The teachers determine interventions needed and then progress monitor students weekly to document growth. We have also started the guided reading groups at all levels with all students.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to table any action on early retirement for classified and certified staff; requesting additional time to review information and to have a deeper conversation during a work session. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Meyer to approve the sale of Chromebooks at $50 apiece. A notice will be published in the local paper for two weeks prior to official sale. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve the SBRC request for increased enrollment $32,332.80, open enrollment out $101,292.80 and LEP instruction beyond 5 years$14,819.20 for a total of $148,444.80 in spending authority. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Meyer and seconded by Schissel to approve the installation by WHV of an alarm system for the high school and elementary/middle school freezers and network closets to monitor temperatures at a cost of $3,930 for the Calmar campus and $10,564 for the Ossian campus. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve the first reading of board policy 505.8Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative reports were given by Mr. Halverson, Mr. Einck and Mrs. DeVore.
Announcements: A work session will take place on November 26 at 7:00 pm in the Calmar board room.The next regular meeting is scheduled for December 10, 2018 at 4:30 pm at the elementary/middle school library. Note time changed to 4:30 as there is a concert at the elementary/middle school on this evening.
Respectfully submitted by,
Kris Smith – Board Secretary
Wendy Mihm-Herold – Board President