The South Winneshiek CSD Board of Education held its regularly scheduled board meeting on October 11, 2021 in the Boardroom in Calmar. The meeting was called to order by board vice-president Don Schroeder at 5:30 pm.
After the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, roll call took place; Present: Don Schroeder and Craig Neuzil. Present on telephone: Patricia Schissel and Ron Hemesath. Absent: Wendy Mihm-Herold.
Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Hemesath to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Review ad discussion about previous board minutes, bills, appointments, resignations, open enrollments and donations took place. Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schissel to approve the consent items as presented: Resignations: Bri Everts – Wrestling Cheerleading; Jason Halverson – Head MS Girls Basketball coach; Troy Anderson – Asst MS Girls Basketball coach. Appointments: Troy Anderson- Head MS Girls BB Coach Step II $2084.40; Mike Gehling – Asst MS Girls BB Coach Step I $1737.00; JT Monroe – Paraprofessional Step 0 $11.00; Caleb Monroe, Mary Brincks, Devin Brincks – Volunteer FFA Assistants. Motion carried unanimously.
Schroeder welcomed visitors.
Sara Schmitt gave a presentation to the board about the upcoming South Winneshiek Education Foundation (SWEF) Evening Extravaganza to be held November 6 4:30 pm – 10:00 pm at PIVO. South Winn students will be putting on a murder mystery, there will be a live and silent auction and a meal. Tickets are available by contacting Sara at 563-379-9650. $30.00/ticket or a table of 8 for $220.00. SWEF supports the school district through purchasing supplies for classrooms, field trips, teacher appreciation, back to school activities, homecoming tailgate party, holiday concert suppers, senior scholarships plus much more! The board thanked Sara for all she does with organizing these events and the entire SWEF group for their support.
Betsy Nefzger presented data to the board regarding ISASP and Conditions for learning.
Old Business: None
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Hemesath to approve the purchase of shot clocks from H2I Group, for $4950.00 Motion carried unanimously. H2I is the company our current clock system is with and the only company that would be compatible with the current clock system. The IHSAA and IGHSAU has required the installation of a 35 second shot clock for varsity basketball beginning the 2022-2023 school year.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Hemesath to approve the allowable growth and supplemental state aid for negative special education balance of $231,692.42, or as adjusted by the Department of Management. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Hemesath to approve the Certified Annual Report (CAR) as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schissel to approve the Lau and Tag Plans for 2021-2022 as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Hemesath and seconded by Neuzil to approve the purchase of vaping detectors from ACP CreativeIT for $12,675.00. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Schissel to approve the out of state trip to New York scheduled for June 6, 2022. Motion carried unanimously.
Administrative reports were provided by Mr. Einck, Mr. Halverson and Ms. Nefzger.
Announcements: There was some interest in attending the IASB 76th Annual Convention and Trade Show on November 17 and 18 in Des Moines. Board members interested will let Kris Smith know by 11/1/21.
The next regular meeting will be held November 8, 2021 in the Music Room at the EL/MS in Ossian at 5:30 pm.
Moved by Neuzil and seconded by Hemesath to adjourn at 6:30 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Kris Smith Don Schroeder
Board Secretary Board Vice-President