South Winneshiek Community School District
Board of Education Annual Meeting Minutes
September 5, 2018
The annual meeting for the South Winneshiek Board of Education was held on September 5, 2018 and called to order at 6:00 pm by board president Wendy Mihm-Herold.
The pledge of allegiance was recited.
Roll Call: Present: Wendy Mihm-Herold, Don Schroeder, Bob Busch, Patricia Schissel, Jenny Johnson. Absent: None
Moved by Johnson and seconded by Schroeder to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
Discussion was held regarding consent items which included previous board minutes, financial reports,bills, open enrollment, appointments and resignations. Resignations: Leah Kruse – Cheerleading Coach for Wrestling. Appointments: Larry Gebel – PT Custodian $10.30; Jessica McKone – Paraprofessional$9.70, Alice Miller – Paraprofessional $12.50; Elizabeth Hand – Musical Technical Director –Choreographer $1,507.05.
Moved by Busch and seconded by Johnson to approve the consent items. Motion carried unanimously. President Mihm-Herold welcomed visitors.
- Moved by Johnson and seconded by Schroeder to purchase one lunch table from Premier F&Efor $1,775.00. Ayes: Schroeder, Busch, Johnson, Mihm-Herold. Nays: Schissel. Motion Carried.
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schroeder to accept the resignation of Jenny Johnson as the Director for District 2 from the school board. Motion carried unanimously. Thank you, Jenny, for being a valuable team member. On behalf of the board and administration you have been wonderful for our district and community. You are a pillar for volunteering in all aspects involved embracing where we work, live and play in our community.
Moved by Busch, seconded by Schroeder to adjourn at 6:26.
A closed session was not held.
The annual meeting was called to order by board secretary Kris Smith at 6:26 pm.
Roll Call: Present: Bob Busch, Wendy Mihm-Herold, Patricia Schissel, Don Schroeder
Motion was made by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to nominate Corey Meyer to fulfill the vacancyof Director District 2 left by Jenny Johnson. Meyer will complete Johnson’s term which expires in 2021, however he will need to be on the ballot at the next school board election as required by law. Motion carried unanimously. The oath of office was given to Meyer.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Meyer to nominate Mihm-Herold as president and Busch as vice president. Motion carried unanimously. The oath of office was given to Mihm-Herold as president and Busch as vice president.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Schissel to approve the agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Busch and seconded by Schissel to approve the LAU plan as presented. The LAU planis designed to meet the instructional needs of English Language Learners. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Busch to approve the TAG (Talented and Gifted) plan as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Moved by Schissel and seconded by Schroeder to approve the out of state trip for the eighth grade to Eagle Bluff in Lanesboro, MN October 17-19. Motion carried unanimously.
- The agenda item pertaining to retirement packages was tabled.
- Mr. Halverson’s report included the receipt of $1,599 from the Depot Outlet to purchase a new AED for the sports complex. Thank you to the Depot Outlet for their generous support! He also shared a view of the new security cameras that were place in the elementary middle school this past summer. Thank you to the South Winneshiek Education Foundation (SWEF) for their support of the 8th grader trip to see the USS LST 325 in Dubuque on Monday August 27th.
- Mr. Einck’s report included preliminary enrollment numbers, a timeline for homecoming events for next week. Homecoming is Friday September 14 with a tailgate kick off sponsored by SWEF to be held at the athletic complex from 3:00 until game time. They will be serving a chicken dinner from 4:30-7:00 for $10.00.
- Mrs. DeVore’s curriculum report was available for the board to review.
Announcements: There will be a work session prior to the October 8 meeting. The work session will beheld at 6:00 pm with the board meeting at 7:00 pm.
Moved by Schroeder and seconded by Busch to adjourn at 6:58 pm. Motion carried unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted by,
Kris Smith – Board Secretary
Wendy Mihm-Herold- Board President